Synergy is awesome! I use it to link my XP machine to my Linux machine at work and share a common keyboard and mouse. I love being able to move between my 2 OS’s transparently.
So when I broke Synergy I was understandably super bummed. It all started when I switched my Windows XP machine to use the system default language or Farsi. I was looking to see if some internationalization stuff I was working on was behaving properly. All of a sudden…. Synergy crashing :(.
I looked all over the web for a solution since when I switched my language pref back to US English it was still broken. I looked all over the web and both Yahoo and Google weren’t giving me the answers I wanted. Finally buried in a forum post somewhere was the answer.
Synergy doesn’t like the XP language bar. Steps to fix this were:
- Navigate to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
- Select the Regional and Language Options applet.
- Select the second tab “Languages” then select the “Details” button.
- You’ll get the “Text Services and Input Languages” dialog
- Make sure all the items are unchecked.
- Save and Exit
- restart your machine and restart Synergy